NED Africa aims to improve food security for local people through community farming.
We established the farm on four separate plots of land for the cultivation of rice, maize (corn), yam, and cassava, totaling 50 hectares. We utilize lands owned by local people who receive part of the harvest, which happens in the spring and fall of each year.
Approximately 200 individuals from villages in Hohoe District contribute their labor during the two growing seasons each year. At the end of each growing season, NED Africa takes 10 percent of the harvest to sell in order to recoup input costs for that season and to use for the next growing season. The remaining 90 percent of the harvest is divided amongst the individuals who contributed their labor and to the elders in the community who cannot afford to buy food for themselves.
Additionally, we will soon begin planting fruit and nut trees and medicinal plants within forest reserves under restoration. Local people living within and near the reserves will be able to harvest these crops without cost for their own personal use. Selling any products collected within the reserve will be prohibited and monitored for compliance. The fruit and nut trees we will plant include: mango, banana, avocado, breadfruit, nut, palm nut, and coconut.
The purpose of cultivating such trees and medicinal plants is to provide local people with tangible benefits from tropical forest restoration, actively including them in our restoration program. If we cultivate trees and plants that feed and heal them, our hope is that they will appreciate the forests and offer their support and cooperation, becoming our partners in the protection of tropical forests and their inhabitants.